Before 1923, privately owned light
companies supplied electricity to the citizens of Granbury. In that
year, the residents voted to build and own their own power plant.
The city purchased the Granbury Water,
Ice, Light and Power Co. and built this structure to house the new
Constructed by the Municipal
Engineering Company, the industrial building still houses the diesel
engines and other machinery that generated electricity until the
plant closed in 1954.